[kdepim-users] KMail downloads

Louis Hinman slack at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jul 28 14:39:29 BST 2011

(I think this is probably a networking issue, and I first addressed this
inquiry to http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.networking/topics
and then  to http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/topics.
Both these forums accept my post but don't display it.   I would therefore
appreciate any help kdepim-users can give me.)

I have a small home Ethernet network.  One machine is running Slackware
Linux 13.0, KDE 4.2.4 and KMail  1.11.4 and Firefox. The other runs Windows
XP.

I recently changed my  ISP  to Time-Warner and I have a broadband connection
to the Internet.   Everything was working normally for 3 months, but
suddenly email downloads from Time-Warner's Road Runner POP server started
to get erratic.  Sometimes rebooting help, but sometimes not.

I can usually ping the POP server, and I can always download my email from
the Windows machine, so it appears there is nothing wrong on the server
side.  I can generally send email (although it appears to be a little slow,
and sometimes a perfectly ordinary email gets stuck in the outbox).

Coincidentally, Firefox on the Linux box is also behaving erratically.  HTML
processing get's stuck on "Waiting for xyz.com...".  HTML requests do not
time out at the server, but the page never comes.  Again, rebooting
sometimes helps and sometimes doesn 't.  (Firefox on the Windows machine
works normally.)

The fact that I have problems with *both* KMail  *and* Firefox makes me
suspect there is a problem with the underlying TCP/IP plumbing on the Linux
machine.  Is there a buffer overflowing somewhere?  A corrupted cache?  Is
there a log file I can look at?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Lou Hinman

NYC