[kdepim-users] Re: Looking for a "smartphone" that can cooperate with Kubuntu 10.10 together with Kontact.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:45:29 GMT 2011

Dear Ecaroh and Everybody else at this list

> Okay, i installed Kontact Mobile a couple of hours ago on my Nokia N900
> and will test it in the next days and weeks.

Do share please  your experiences with this list from time to time.

> The device is a very good smartphone. My sun is using a iPhone, but must
> admit that besides the UI the Nokia has some outstanding features and
> very good multimedia capabilities (Flash..).

"besides the UI": briefly explain, pls. Everything else above is clear.
However it may be, next week, I try to get a N900 in the range between
€150 and  €210. It has become clear to me that this device
sufficiently meets my practical requirements. Additionally, it seems
to be possible to update the "MAE" OS in that device to "MeGo", a
cooperation project of "Moblin" and "MAE". However it may be,
regularly it appear in "marktplaats.nl", a local Dutch variant of
"Ebay". Several people have bought that device in 2010 and rarely used
it, because it's too complicated for them. I am already negociating
with a few of them. If and when I do get the N900, I am happy trying
to contribute somehow to the development of "Kontact Mobile" in that
context. On the other hand - if "Kontact Mobile" does not work yet, I
will use a temporary workaround via my GMAIL account, until "Kontact
Mobile" will be sufficiently functional. I will do so along the lines
of the instructions Dotan has pointed at earlier in this thread, in
the list "debian-kde": http://bit.ly/gIGkfK

> The Palm Treo 650 is sold for under 100,- € in Ebay.
This device is indeed available at such prices, also at
marktplaats.nl. I have looked at it's specifications - it does not
meet my practical needs. I have also looked at other Palm devices from
newer "generations" - they do use now Windows Mobile - a OS I do not
want to use.

Finally - thanks, Damnshock, for your reply to my question of yesterday:

> Did you ever "thether", share a mobile internet connection between your N900
> and a laptop - via one ore more of the three methods mentioned by you, WIFI, Bluetooth, USB?

You replied as follows:

> Sure I did (I guess I didn't explain myself). The three methods work perfectly. For the wifi one
> you'll need either to pay for an app or enable extras-devel repository  (if I recall correctly).

For now, I know enough. If and when I do manage to get the device, I
come back to details if necessary.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.