[kdepim-users] Re: Lost "rebuild index"?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jan 29 15:19:59 GMT 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 28 January 2011 18:20:44 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 January 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I'm using Fedora 14 with KMail Version 1.13.5 and my inbox has
> > > begun to show me the infamous "unknown" messages.  I looked for
> > > the Rebuild Index facility, but couldn't find it either on the
> > > folder context menu or on the Folder top menu.  I know I can
> > > delete index files, but I wanted to try the rebuild first.
> > > Doesn't it exist in this version?
> >
> > I had a quick look. I found this option on the Maintenance tab of
> > the folder properties of maildir folders. It does not seem to
> > exist for mbox folders.

The above was for local folders stored in maildir or mbox format.

> The folder that has the problem is my IMAP Inbox folder.  It's
> definitely maildir - I can see all the individual messages.

Where do you see those messages? Below you write that you cannot locate
the folder on your harddisk?

> There is no rebuild index option on the maintenance tab.

Hmm. I just checked a disconnected IMAP folder. There I do have a
"Rebuild Local IMAP Cache" button in the Maintenance tab of the folder's
Properties.

Or are we talking about an IMAP folder? For IMAP folders there is no
such button in the Maintenance tab.

> It tells me that
> my index is
> /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap/.133252502.directory/.INBOX.in
> dex.

Okay, so we seem to be talking about IMAP folders (which are stored in
.../kmail/imap) and not disconnected IMAP folders (which are stored in
.../kmail/dimap). OTOH, above you mention maildir. But KMail uses mbox
for the local IMAP cache (only message headers) and maildir for the
local disconnected IMAP cache (complete messages). So, either one of
your statements is wrong or your setup is utterly screwed.

> Looking at /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap/ I find nothing
> at all numbered 133252502,

Hmm.

> but a directory and index files numbered
> 1687036093 together with one that is called, literally, 1687036093
> and is said to be empty.
>
> I'm utterly lost.

The top-level account folders in .../kmail/imap and .../kmail/dimap are
always empty. They are just used as containers for the accounts' real
top-level folders.

Is there a .1687036093.directory folder?

Have a look at the [Account ...] sections in your kmailrc to see which
ID KMail uses for your IMAP account.