[kdepim-users] Re: kmail notifications

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jan 1 10:57:27 GMT 2011

On Thursday 30 December 2010, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Friday, 17. December 2010 19:49:54 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Friday 17 December 2010, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I recently saw a few times kmail notifications (something like
> > > imap server unreachable) while presenting on top of the
> > > openoffice screenshow.
> >
> > Do you mean message boxes (i.e. simple Windows with an OK button)?
> > Or do you mean something else?
>
> No, I mean whatever is delivered through the "i" icon (see
> attachment), on my system on the right side of the panel.

Ahh, okay.

> > > Can I disable kmail notifcations?
> >
> > The message boxes cannot be disabled. But if you put KMail on
> > another virtual desktop than OpenOffice then the message boxes
> > should not disturb you.
> >
> > Another option might be switching KMail to offline mode (via
> > File->Work Offline). Then KMail shouldn't check the IMAP server
> > and consequently shouldn't show any notifications. I had a quick
> > look at the D-BUS interface. Maybe
> >
> >   qdbus org.kde.kmail /KMail org.kde.kmail.kmail.stopNetworkJobs
> >
> > does the trick.
> >
> > The counterpart seems to be
> >
> >   qdbus org.kde.kmail /KMail org.kde.kmail.kmail.resumeNetworkJobs
>
> I was hoping for a more general switch, which blocks all
> notifications from kmail to the "i" icon. But this one might help as
> well and is probably very useful for cases when the network goes
> down (I see hangs of the imap client regularly, when the network
> comes back).

The following might work:
Open System Settings.
Click on Application and System Notifications.
Select KMail as Event source.
Select the notification "Error While Checking Mail".
Uncheck Show a message in a popup.

I don't know whether this can also be achieved through some D-Bus magic.

Another possibility would be to disable all notifications when you are
giving a presentation. This can be done in the Notifications Settings
(in the context menu of the i-icon). I would be surprised if this
wouldn't be possible via D-Bus.

But maybe we are trying to solve your problem the wrong way. Maybe
Plasma's activities can make this easier by creating a special activity
for giving presentations. But that's just guessing on my part since, so
far, I haven't used activities.