[kdepim-users] Re: Syncing data between computers

Ecaroh lists at datenarbeiter.de
Sun Feb 6 13:49:03 GMT 2011

Hello!

Am Samstag 29 Januar 2011 schrieb Martin (KDE):
> Call me paranoid, but I don't want my data spread around in the
> world. So dropbox is no option in general. This may be an idea for
> special subfolders where I want to share data with a bigger audience,
> but not for the whole home directory.

There is one excellent sync solution: Unison. Unfortanetly the code is
not maintained anymore. But to be fare, i do not miss anything. In
terms on not reinventing the wheel, have you had a look on it?

> My main problem is the hen and egg one. I have to sync before any kde
> or other program was started. otherwise config changes done on
> another computer wont be used. And I don't want a second password
> dialogue for the storage. Syncing of data has to be done completely
> in the background (rsync via ssh at login and logout - this is really
> similar to how windows does it).

As far as i know from the early days of X you can put your favourite
sync script in the first X startup script which is processed before
other things come up.

> I currently sync home folders only. All other files user may use from
> the server will be either accessed via VPN or must be synced in an
> extra step. But with this I have another problem: How can I sync the
> permissions without being root?

Depends on the files. Use sudo, make ssh keyless as root or create
another user account for sync purposes.

> I must confess that owncloud sounds promising. I will take a closer
> look into it if I have the time.
>
> > > In
> > > the old days with fix computers I did this via NFS but with the
> > > laptops this is no longer possible. Laptop users need their data
> > > even if they are not in range of my network.

I had the same problem, i fixed it with links for the most important
files and Unison as the sync solution.

> Martin

Recently i had a look into an Mac OS X Book. There was promised that you
can have such a setup with OS X. But i did not read deeper.

Ecaroh