[kdepim-users] Problems with filters (AGAIN!)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:38:01 GMT 2011

On 12/23/2011 08:51 PM, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> - tell KMail to quit picking up my POP mail and stop KMail
>> - setup Cyrus
>>   . point it at my ~/Mail (all maildir)
>>   . add my KMail filters
>> - start KMail and reconfigure it to use my new Cyrus

Basically, that's almost right.  I use Dovecot, but I imagine Cyrus is
similar.  You use Fetchmail to get your mail in, procmail or similar to
filter it into your folders, and Dovecot to serve it up to whatever you
use to read it.  Then you point your client to the server address -
which can be on the same machine as you read, or a different one.  One
added advantage is that you can read your mail when away from home if
you choose.

There's plenty of documentation online but ask if you need help.  On
UserBase, too, you'll find a section on making Bogofilter work within
procmail, so your spam filtering is largely taken care of at the same
time.  Good luck.

Btw, I agree that you must take care to use normal IMAP, not
disconnected IMAP.  It saves a lot of problems.

When I was first setting it up, I set it up to fetch from my least used
address until I was certain that it was working properly.  Then again,
if you don't mind some duplicates while you are testing, fetchmail has a
--keep option.

Anne
--
Need KDE help?  Try