[kdepim-users] kaddressbook mess

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Wed Aug 17 06:52:08 BST 2011

On Wednesday 17 August 2011 01:17:20 Neal Becker wrote:
> After upgrading to kdebase-4.7.0-1.fc15.x86_64, I have no contacts.
>
> Akonadi resources has:
>
> Personal Contacts: /home/nbecker/.local/share/contacts/
> which directory does not exist
>
> Default address book: /home/nbecker/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf
> which has size=0
>
> If I open kaddressbook, and add a contact to 'default address book',
> I see it is added to the file
> /home/nbecker/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf.  But kaddressbook does
> not show any contacts.
>
> If I add to Personal Contacts, nothing seems to happen.

I have had this problem twice, once with kde 4.4.4 and now with 4.6, and
have never solved it. The major mystery is Where on the system is the
file containing all the contacts that I see displayed in the contacts
window? I have not been able to locate it. A search for *.vcf shows no
candidates.

I can add one detail to Neal's description that may be of help in
addressing the problem. In my earlier problem, I had two address books
(Personal Contacts and default) as does Neal, and the behavior was
precisely as he describes.  In the present case, there is only Personal
Contacts, and I can add, edit, and delete contacts normally, and access
the address book from kmail. I have no idea if this difference is
significant or of what it means.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on