[kdepim-users] Maildir Backend for Akonadi?

Divan Santana divan at s-tainment.co.za
Wed Aug 10 04:28:36 BST 2011

On Tuesday, 9 August 2011 16:22:38 Georg Wittenburg wrote:
> My local mail cache is part of the data that I include in regular backups.
> I  prefer all my important data (such the mail contained in the mail cache)
> to be in a format that is simple and straightforward, and will be readable
> in ten years time. Thus, I'd prefer to have my local cache in maildir
> format rather than the Akonadi DB format.

I too would love this. For backups and easy portability of your email to
another email solution/server.

> Note that I don't want a second cache, I merely want my main cache to be in
> maildir format as it used to be with KMail1. I'm aware that there is an
> option to archive folders in KMail2, however, this is quite tedious as
> compared to simply creating a TGZ of my $HOME folder.

Also, the archive folder/backup feature is also somewhat broken. On my 8GB
kolab dimap mailbox, it fails to read some emails in some folders(at different
point) and then simply quits. It would be nice to have "ignore all" option so
at least I have a better partial backup. Right now my backup is usually less
than 1GB of 8GB. Not much of an archive/backup.

> While I generally applaud the work on KMail2/Akonadi and consider it to be
> a  great idea, I'm afraid that the ability to create backups and know that
> the file formats are simple and widely supported is quite an essential
> feature for me.

Otherwise a utility to convert the DB to maildir would be great!
--
Divan Santana