[kdepim-users] Kmail1 to Kmail2 folder import

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 13:06:47 BST 2011

Well..

On 17/08/2011 12:34, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2011-08-17, O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> "Local Folders" as opposed to "Server based storage", e.g. folders like
>>> outbox.
>>> If the associated directory tree does not contain any mail when the
>>> migrator is run, it will try to register the folders provided by the
>>> KMail Folders resource to fullfil these special roles, removing "Local
>>> Folders" in the process.
>>
>> I get the Local Folders as opposed to Server based, sure. Still do not
>> get why I ended up with KMail Folders and Local Folders as to me these
>> are the same. I guess simply the migrator did not do its job (I also
>> ended up with some other odd resources).
>
> The Local Folders resource is created by the mail dispatcher agent as it needs
> some folders to work on (outbox, sent-mail).
> When the migrator runs it analyzes the folders of this resource to see if it
> can divert the usage to the KMail Folders resource it created.
> If it can it registers the respective folders of KMail Folders for mail
> dispatchers use cases and removes the Local Folders one.
> If it can't (e.g. already mail in Local Folders) it will leave that part of
> the setup untouched.
>
> It seems that in your case one of the safeguards in the migrator prevented it
> from removing the Local Folders resource.
> If you are sure you that no harm is done by it being removed, you can manually
> register [1] the mixed maildir resource in
> $HOME/.kde/share/config/specialmailcollectionsrc (or $HOME/.kde4 if you have a
> patched KDE [2]) and then remove the Local Folders resource.
You see here is where it sort of goes wrong in the logic for me. I am
not saying my thinking is right/better/correct, just not the one applied
by KMail2.
As I would have thought to do it my existing Local Folders in KMail1
stays where they are, KMail2 migrator creates a "maildir resource" (or
mixed if necessary, not in my case) and points it to existing Local
Folders. The already existing "outbox", ""sent-mail", "wastebin" et al
stay where they are already and is used by KMail "akonadi transport" and
whatever might need it.

At a later stage one might create a "move local folders to standard
resourde directory" or such if one wants to move from present
/home/user/.kde... to /home/user/.local...

I guess the discussion is sort of "too late anyhow" as the migrator does
not seem to work that way, just trying to figure it out and happy you
are willing to enlighten me/us.

Best,
Sinclair