[kdepim-users] Restart KDEPIM with akonadi - problems with addressbook (and "of course" RAM usage)

Carsten Aulbert Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Sun Aug 14 18:16:16 BST 2011

Hi all

Since not everything was working fine with my KDE setup which evolved since the
KDE 3.x days and I had a bit of spare time, I moved all my .kde and .local
folders away and started from scratch. Most of the stuff is working, but I'm
currently struggling quite hard with a few minor things.

Upfront, most importantly kmail1 is working as expected (I'm using Debian
testing, thus not yet kmail2), but akonadi is driving me crazy. Caching works,
but memory usage is unacceptably - akonadiserver takes 1GB and the imap
resources are using between 1-1.5GB each. That's already most of the 4 GB I
have and I have not yet opened a browser). Right now I need to disable the
larger one (with a total of ~ 300k emails) otherwise my system dies swapping -
is there a way around this?

Also, I cannot add any addressbook. Regardless where and what I used so far
(akonadi resourse, vcal directory), I cannot use them. They are created, thus
I can see them in akonadi's resource list, but I cannot select this in the
addressbook part of kontact. Is this a known "misfeature"?

Cheers

Carsten