[kdepim-users] On going struggle to import KMail distribution list from KDE 3.5 or create new one (now using KDE 4.6)

Gil Weber gil at gilweber.com
Wed Aug 10 16:08:27 BST 2011

On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:01:00 AM Anne Wilson wrote:

> > I'll describe what I did on my installation.
> >
> > 1 - New email
> > 2 - Add people in the "To" field
> > 3 - Click on "Save List..."
> > 4 - Assign a name: "List to myself"
> > 5 - Click "Save" and select the proper Addressbook (I selected
> > Personal Contacts as I do not really trust the Google Contacts
> > addressbook yet) 6 - Discard the created email
> > 7 - Created a new email and used the "List to myself" address on
> > the "To" field. 8 - Sent the email
> > 9 - Everything worked fine, all my personal addressess got the
> > email.
> >
> > I'm running KDE SC 4.7 on Archlinux.
>
> I have just created a group  using these instructions, and can
> confirm that they work for me.  I have KDE 4.6.5 on Fedora 14.
>
> Anne

Hmmm..... Glad you were successful, Anne. I tried a couple more times
following the instructions VERY carefully, but the problem continues
unchanged.

So given that the instructions worked for Marc and Anne but not for me,
either I have something screwed up in my KMail/Akonadi that's not
allowing the instructions to work, or I'm just not understanding the
part of the instructions about saving the list (group) to the proper
address book.

In any case, I don't want to belabor the problem as it's probably
something I'm doing wrong. And a viable work-around was offered.

I ended up taking Sinclair's suggestion to enter all the names into a
dummy e-mail and then save as a template. That worked and I'll simply
recall that template as needed.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed here. I really do appreciate
your time and wise counsel.

(The trip to Zimbabwe sounded really nice!)  :o)

Gil