[kdepim-users] Kmail1 to Kmail2 folder import

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Aug 17 11:34:36 BST 2011

On Wednesday, 2011-08-17, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 16/08/2011 17:30, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Monday, 2011-08-08, O. Sinclair wrote:

> >> They are still "Local Folders" as opposed to IMAP,
> >> so why name them "KMail Folders" and then add a new "Local Folders" etc?
> >
> > "Local Folders" as opposed to "Server based storage", e.g. folders like
> > outbox.
> > If the associated directory tree does not contain any mail when the
> > migrator is run, it will try to register the folders provided by the
> > KMail Folders resource to fullfil these special roles, removing "Local
> > Folders" in the process.
>
> I get the Local Folders as opposed to Server based, sure. Still do not
> get why I ended up with KMail Folders and Local Folders as to me these
> are the same. I guess simply the migrator did not do its job (I also
> ended up with some other odd resources).

The Local Folders resource is created by the mail dispatcher agent as it needs
some folders to work on (outbox, sent-mail).
When the migrator runs it analyzes the folders of this resource to see if it
can divert the usage to the KMail Folders resource it created.
If it can it registers the respective folders of KMail Folders for mail
dispatchers use cases and removes the Local Folders one.
If it can't (e.g. already mail in Local Folders) it will leave that part of
the setup untouched.

It seems that in your case one of the safeguards in the migrator prevented it
from removing the Local Folders resource.
If you are sure you that no harm is done by it being removed, you can manually
register [1] the mixed maildir resource in
$HOME/.kde/share/config/specialmailcollectionsrc (or $HOME/.kde4 if you have a
patched KDE [2]) and then remove the Local Folders resource.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] DefaultResourceId needs to be the identifier of the mixed maildir
resource, e.g. by looking at commandline of the process in system monitor, ps
x output, or in $HOME/.config/akonadi/agentsrc

[2] see kde4-config --localprefix

KDE user support, developer mentoring