[kdepim-users] Kmail1 to Kmail2 folder import

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Aug 16 16:30:45 BST 2011

On Monday, 2011-08-08, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 08/08/2011 09:30, Darknight wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 August 2011 01:08:15 O. Sinclair wrote:
> >> Why transfer/import old email to a special "mixed maildir" category
> >> instead of straight to "new maildir"? Is there any difference even
> >> except for me/you/one getting a folder structure extra?
> >
> > Maybe, and just maybe, because kmail allowed for mixed maildir and mbox,
> > which I took advantage of, using mbox for archival purposes reducing the
> > number of files around my file system. A regular maildir doesn't allow
> > this. Also, I think they didn't want to copy possibily huge amounts of
> > data during the migration, but you can if you want to. As I said I
> > suppose you can move your old mail where you want it to be with drag&
> > drop of entire folders and maybe entire subtrees, haven't tried.
>
> my short stint with KMail2 told me I have to wait for a more
> production-ready version. But nevermind: in my KMail I can use maildir
> or mbox folders. I have no "mixed maildir" alternative, that came with
> KMail2. And as much as I do understand the reason not to move Gb of
> maildata (have around 2 Gb myself I think) why not just let the new
> akonadi resource simply point to the existing maildir without naming it
> as something special?

That is exactly what's happening.
The Mixed Maildir resource just points to the data used by any previous
version of KMail, thus not requiring importing or moving.
Mixed Maildir is the internal term describing a directory tree structure of
maildir and mbox folders. The visible string "KMail Folders" should indicate
that this is the local mail storage that KMail had been using, assuming that
it would be easier to undestand than "mixed maildir".

> They are still "Local Folders" as opposed to IMAP,
> so why name them "KMail Folders" and then add a new "Local Folders" etc?

"Local Folders" as opposed to "Server based storage", e.g. folders like
outbox.
If the associated directory tree does not contain any mail when the migrator
is run, it will try to register the folders provided by the KMail Folders
resource to fullfil these special roles, removing "Local Folders" in the
process.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring