[kdepim-users] On going struggle to import KMail distribution list from KDE 3.5 or create new one (now using KDE 4.6)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 22:10:35 BST 2011

On 09/08/2011 20:40, Gil Weber wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:17:33 PM O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> Sinclair, thanks for this informative reply.
>>>
>>> Just so I understand you correctly, you're saying I will have to
>>> retype each and every name and address into a new "Group" to
>>> create a mailing list? I can't simply go "click, click, click" on
>>> the various names to add them?
>>>
>>> And where/when do I press the + sign?
>>>
>>> After I do as you've suggested I see a box where I can enter the
>>> new Group's name.
>>>
>>> Then below that is an area where I can type in last names and it
>>> adds the e-mail address. So far, so good.
>>>
>>> But then when I click "OK" there are no names in the Group.
>>>
>>> What am I not understanding about this process? Does it have
>>> something to do with the + sign?
>>> Thx
>>
>> Gil,
>>
>> unfortunately there is no (that I know of) "choose a bunch of
>> contacts and then create a list". It still exists as an option in a
>> mail you create (save as distribution list, right?) but I don't
>> think it works at this moment.
>>
>> you give the group a name, click the first "envelope" line in the
>> window and start typing. Your chosen contact should show up after a
>> few letters. Then you click on the next empty "envelop line". Sorry
>> the plus sign seems to be a phantom in my memory, could be that it
>> existed in an earlier version.
>

> Sinclair, again, thanks. I really appreciate the time you've put into
> your answers. But still it's not working.   :o(
>
> 1) I saved a nine-name group following your directions.
> 2) When I then try to look at the contents of the group it shows 0
> contacts.
> 3) I sent a test e-mail anyway to the (supposed) group.
> 4) It bounced back to me as undeliverable, stating the message had been
> addressed to<name of the group>@<name of my computer>.com
>
> But clearly I did not send the message to that non-existent address.
> Rather, I sent it (or tried to send it) to 9 distinct e-mail addresses
> that are in my address book.
>
> This is the same problem that has been described repeatedly on various
> discussion groups.
>
> How can this significant problem be so widespread for so long since the
> release of KDE 4 yet it's still not fixed? Or has it been fixed but
> we're not aware of the fix?

Gil, I feel for you and have been in the same situation. It seems to
depend on the combination of distro, kde-pim etc versions.

When I had your scenario I ended up making template emails to the people
on the lists I normally use and then re-use these as drafts for sending
email. All but elegant.. I have NOT had to do this since kde 4.6 or
something on Kubuntu.

It is not KDE related as such - it is related to when Kadressbook
shifted to Akonadi as "middle layer agent". The very frustrated
developer has tried to explain but I personally think the move was a bit
premature. You should see what might/could happen if you try KMail2 now...