[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Lars Behrens Lars.Behrens at kit.edu
Tue Apr 5 08:47:39 BST 2011

Am 05.04.2011 00:52, schrieb Myrosia Dzikovska:

> rm -r ~/.local/share/akonadi
> mkdir -p /tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/akonadi
> cd ~/.local/share
> ln -s /tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/akonadi .
>
> Then edit $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc and add
>
> [Connection]
> SocketDirectory=/tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/

Thanks for that.

> This re-directs the socket to /tmp, which is local in our setup
> Note that this solution is not entirely stable: any change to the
> resources through the Akonadi GUI breaks the setup, by automatically
> adding the following line into akonadiserverrc
> Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/USERNAME/mysql.socket"
>
> So any time you configure KDE resources, you have to exit KDE, delete
> that line from the config file, and restart, or else everything stops
> working.

Plus, this has to be done per user, inside their ~ directory. Thus
probably not our way to go.

> I will probably be forced to move away from kdepim soon, to my regret.

Likewise here. We were sticking with the last working version of SUSE,
but it will soon reach eol.

> Our local support (who are very highly skilled in Linux) are pointing
> out that lack of support for networked file systems makes it
> unsuitable for enterprise environment, the resources needed for tech
> support under circumstances are unreasonable, so all our 500+ users
> are being strongly encouraged to use Thunderbird, or at least
> Evolution.

The sad thing is: Thunderbird (and also Firefox) nowadays are also
incapable of dealing with network file systems. And let's wait how
Evolution will develop under Gnome 3...

With all the cloud mania these days we are testing the use of terminal
server atm, maybe this might be the way to go, a bit ridiculous though,
with a herd of dual core machines being used as terminals :-\

Cheerz,
Lars