[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Apr 3 09:27:53 BST 2011

Am Samstag, 2. April 2011 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Friday, 2011-04-01, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 1. April 2011 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > > I don't think Akonadi uses this right now for file bases
> > > caches, but that should probably be investigated.
> >
> > until 4.5.5 akonadi uses .local/share/akonadi for the database.
>
> Up until 1.5.1 :)
> (which is the most recent release AFAIK)

Yeah, true. Sometimes I get confused with all the different numbers.

> And I was not talking about the database per se. Akonadi basically
> has a size limit up to which it puts cache data into the database
> as well, utilizing cache files for anything above that.
>
> Assuming the desire to have cache data separate, one could
> configure this limit to be very small, probably zero.
> Thus the database will then only contain state and relational data.
>
> One kind of cached data might still be better be in a data
> location, i.e. data not yet uploaded to the actual backend (e.g.
> server).

I am not sure that this should be an online database like mysql. Mysql
is not supposed to run on NFS file systems. For non plain cache data a
xml file may be an idea. this file (or files) can be stored in the
home directory.

At the end there are the configured sources. These data (at least
partly) are cached in the database which is located somewhere in
/var/tmp. All the additional data someone adds to pim sources that can
not be stored in the pim source itself may be stored in a file (or
offline database) and synced every now and then.

AFAIK all modern enterprise network file systems out there supports
file locking.

As I already said, I am not really sure that NFS is relevant on the
long run for home directories. It does not work with laptops and has
problems with modern power save functions. I once hit suspend to ram
by accident. I had to do a reboot after resume.

Martin