[kdepim-users] Re: kdepim-users Digest, Vol 89, Issue 11

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 11 19:48:49 BST 2011

On Monday 11 April 2011 18:25:19 Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> I agree this is very odd behavior, hence my difficulties...
>
> I've replied below...

> > > OK, so I followed exactly what I did before, and as you said, selected
> > > std.vcf  here, and when I open Kontact again, I see that I indeed have
> > > an empty Personal Contacts folder...
> > >

> > > ...but also an empty std.vcf file as well...
> > >

> > > Both Personal Contacts and std.vcf in the Address Books column show 156
> > > files  that take up 0 bytes...and the Name column is completely blank
> > >

> > > ...I know I have about 156 files in my std.vcf folder as I can open and
> > > look  at it in Kate, but it takes up 37 kb as I see in Dolphin...
> >
> > That is extremely odd.

> > > the problem is that there is nothing to drag into Personal Contacts...

> > > I have only akonadi-resource in this file, but within akonadi-resource
> > > is  Address Books and Resource Settings and this is where I added
> > > Personal Contacts and std.vcf...should I add these on their own
> > > somewhere?
> >
> > That could be the problem.  The place to add std.vcf is on the very first
> > screen that you meet - System Settings > Configure KDE Resources > Add.
>
> this is what I have here:
>
> System Settings > Personal Information > Configure KDE Resources > Add
>
> Please select a type of the new resource
>
> Akonadi Address Books (Provides access to contacts stored in Akonadi
> address book folders)
> Folder (Provides access to contacts, each stored in a single file, in a
> given folder. Supports standard VCard file and other formats depending on
> availability of plugins.)
> GroupDAV Server (e.g. Open Groupware)(Provides access to contacts stored in
> address books stored on GroupDAV available servers, e.g. OpenGroupware)
> Novell Groupwise Server
> Address Book on IMAP Server via KMail (Provides access to contacts stored
> on a Kolab Server using IMAP via KMail or Kontact)
> LDAP (Provides access to contacts stored on a LDAP directory server)
> Network (Provides access to contacts in remote files using KDE's network
> framework KIO. Supports standard VCard files and other formats depending on
> available plugins.)
> OpenXchange Server (Provides access to contacts stored on an Open-Xchange
> server)
> SUSE Linux Openexchange Server
>
> I am guessing that I select 'Folder' as it supports standard VCard
> file...is that correct?

No, it isn't.  That one is looking for a directory with many individual VCard
records - exactly what Personal Contacts is going to give you, in fact.

You should also have a line saying

File (Provides access to contacts stored in a single local file. Supports
standard VCard files and other formats depending on available plugins.)

That's the one you need - many records in a single file.

Anne