[kdepim-users] Re: Data retrieval

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Apr 20 23:06:06 BST 2011

On Wednesday 20 April 2011 09:57:19 Pa Blum wrote:
> Hi:
> I've been happily using KAlarm for some time but, since I recently upgraded
> go Ubuntu 10.10, KAlarm refuses to run.  Can you tell me the name of the
> file that contains my present reminders list so that I can retrieve its
> contents, preferably in text form?  I have looked at the three files that
> contain the string "kalarm" in their names and have the most recent access
> date, but none of them seems to contain my entries.
>
> NOTE: Even if there is some way to revive the application, I still would
> want to save my data first to insure that they are not lost during repairs.

The calendar files where KAlarm stores its alarms are normally the *.ics files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kalarm - calendar.ics is the one which contains the active alarms. You can verify the calendar locations are by doing View -> Show Calendars, and either hover the mouse over each calendar, or right click on it and choose Show Details.

As for the problem running KAlarm, what version do you have? Find this out by opening a terminal window and running KAlarm from there. Type:

kalarm --version

Also, it could be useful to check if any error messages appear in the terminal when you try to run KAlarm. Just type

kalarm

Copy any error messages in your reply.

David Jarvie.
KDE developer.