[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Myrosia Dzikovska myrosia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 23:52:04 BST 2011

Not tested on NFS, but AFS, another networked system used in my
enterprise environment, has the same set of problems. Here's how I got
Akonadi to work, in KDE 4.4.

rm -r ~/.local/share/akonadi
mkdir -p /tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/akonadi
cd ~/.local/share
ln -s /tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/akonadi .

Then edit $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc and add

[Connection]
SocketDirectory=/tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/

This re-directs the socket to /tmp, which is local in our setup
Note that this solution is not entirely stable: any change to the
resources through the Akonadi GUI breaks the setup, by automatically
adding the following line into akonadiserverrc
Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/USERNAME/mysql.socket"

So any time you configure KDE resources, you have to exit KDE, delete
that line from the config file, and restart, or else everything stops
working.

I will probably be forced to move away from kdepim soon, to my regret.
Our local support (who are very highly skilled in Linux) are pointing
out that lack of support for networked file systems makes it
unsuitable for enterprise environment, the resources needed for tech
support under circumstances are unreasonable, so all our 500+ users
are being strongly encouraged to use Thunderbird, or at least
Evolution, and kdepim use is explicitly discouraged. Cannot say I
blame them, having spent a full day trying to get it to work, and even
more time trying to keep it working with the re-edits of config files.

Myrosia