[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Apr 3 10:54:06 BST 2011

On Sunday 03 April 2011, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Samstag, 2. April 2011 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > >
> > > Network file systems are not on that list...
> >
> > True. But I was talking about PIM data only. Storing PIM data on
> > NAS instead of on dedicated servers like IMAP servers, LDAP
> > servers or generic PIM servers is in my book not enterprise. Of
> > course, for non-PIM data the usage of NAS is enterprise.
>
> In general I would second that but it is common practise in many
> companies to restrict mailboxes to 50MByte of space (or something
> similar). So you have to store your pim data somewhere else.

Yes, I know this practise. It stems from the days when storage was
expensive. Nowadays this practise (or at least such insanely small
limits) are just wrong. The size of hard disks doubles each year (or
maybe every 1.5 years; the exact progression doesn't matter) and the
ratio storage space/money constantly decreases. Still the quota for mail
boxes stays constant for ages. This makes no sense. Also, any cheap
freemail provider out there offers at least 1 GB of space.

I suggest you talk to your IT department if you are hampered by an
unrealistically small quota.

If you scrub your messages from huge attachments (which you can safely
store on a NAS) then a quota of 1 GB will easily suffice for decades.