[kdepim-users] Re: kdepim-users Digest, Vol 89, Issue 11

Donald J. Stewart donald at soundexperiment.org
Mon Apr 11 18:25:19 BST 2011

I agree this is very odd behavior, hence my difficulties...

I've replied below...

--
--------------
Donald J. Stewart
On Monday, April 11, 2011 03:00:44 AM kdepim-users-request at kde.org wrote:

> > > Nothing at all.  That's absolutely fine, but it has to get
> > > populated.  This is  usually done by an automatic migration, and if
> > > that failed you have to do something about it manually - not ideal,
> > > but not too difficult.  So....
> > >
> > > Start the same process over, and we'll get your std.vcf installed as a
> > > resource next.  This time, in Manage Resources, select  VCard File and
> > > polint  the address line to ~/.kde (kde4 in some distros)
> > > /share/apps/kabc/std.vcf and complete the process.  When you restart
> > > Kontact you should see that you now have an empty Personal Contacts and
> > > an std.vcf resource with your old contacts in.  If you can't see it,
> > > use Add Address Book from the right-click menu, and choose std.vcf.
> >

> > OK, so I followed exactly what I did before, and as you said, selected
> > std.vcf  here, and when I open Kontact again, I see that I indeed have an
> > empty Personal Contacts folder...
> >

> > ...but also an empty std.vcf file as well...
> >

> > Both Personal Contacts and std.vcf in the Address Books column show 156
> > files  that take up 0 bytes...and the Name column is completely blank
> >

> > ...I know I have about 156 files in my std.vcf folder as I can open and
> > look  at it in Kate, but it takes up 37 kb as I see in Dolphin...
> >

> That is extremely odd.
>

> > > Once you have that you can drag your addresses into Personal Contacts.
> >

> > the problem is that there is nothing to drag into Personal Contacts...
> >

> > > Finally, go back into the Management routine, and click the boxes for
> > > Contacts  and Distribution lists to be added to Personal
> > > Contacts.  Also, before you leave the System Settings page, highlight
> > > Personal Contacts and click Set as Standard.
> >

> > I have only akonadi-resource in this file, but within akonadi-resource
> > is  Address Books and Resource Settings and this is where I added
> > Personal Contacts and std.vcf...should I add these on their own
> > somewhere?
>
> That could be the problem.  The place to add std.vcf is on the very first
> screen that you meet - System Settings > Configure KDE Resources > Add.

this is what I have here:

System Settings > Personal Information > Configure KDE Resources > Add

Please select a type of the new resource

Akonadi Address Books (Provides access to contacts stored in Akonadi address
book folders)
Folder (Provides access to contacts, each stored in a single file, in a given
folder. Supports standard VCard file and other formats depending on
availability of plugins.)
GroupDAV Server (e.g. Open Groupware)(Provides access to contacts stored in
address books stored on GroupDAV available servers, e.g. OpenGroupware)
Novell Groupwise Server
Address Book on IMAP Server via KMail (Provides access to contacts stored on a
Kolab Server using IMAP via KMail or Kontact)
LDAP (Provides access to contacts stored on a LDAP directory server)
Network (Provides access to contacts in remote files using KDE's network
framework KIO. Supports standard VCard files and other formats depending on
available plugins.)
OpenXchange Server (Provides access to contacts stored on an Open-Xchange
server)
SUSE Linux Openexchange Server

I am guessing that I select 'Folder' as it supports standard VCard file...is
that correct?