[kdepim-users] Re: pim data migration

Pascal Hasko Bernhard pascal.hasko.bernhard at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 4 22:19:55 BST 2011

Am Montag, den 04.04.2011, 21:46 +0300 schrieb Dj YB:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently installed a fresh Fedora 14 on another disk and would like to
> migrate all my pim data (mail , contacts , calendars) from this Fedora 13
> installation.
> I remember a similar question have been asked not so long ago, but couldn't
> find the thread.
> any ideas how to do this? perhaps there is a migration guide somewhere I
> didn't find.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> YB.

Hi,

you're right, I asked pretty much the same question some time ago and
Anne was really helpful. There is an entry on KDE-Userbase you can find
here:

http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips

There are some directories you would have to back up (~/.kde/share and
~/.local/apps for example but there are others) and then copy them to
the new HOME-directory. It does not work perfectly though, as I
experienced when on your new install there is a newer version of
KDE-PIM. Make sure that you have installed the applications in questions
before you move the old files.  You may have to start the programs once,
so the configuration files get created in the first place (was the case
with me with "Krusader"). Close them all, then replace the files with
the old ones (perhabs move them to a backup folder, just in case) and
then restart the programs. All the settings should be like on the old
system (including toolbar, mail settings, and so on). In one forum I
read the recommendation to replace the entire new HOME-directory with
the old HOME-directory. Perhabs the fastest way, but once again would
work only properly when you have exactly the same KDE-PIM versions. And
you want to keep the old HOME-directory.

Two more links in case you run into trouble and need more information:

http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials#General_System

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook

Hopefully that helps,

Pascal