[kdepim-users] Re: kdepim-users Digest, Vol 89, Issue 10

Donald J. Stewart donald at soundexperiment.org
Mon Apr 11 05:01:13 BST 2011

Hi Anne, I thought I was replying to 'mailing list', but I guess I was not...

I have replied below...

--
--------------
Donald J. Stewart
On Sunday, April 10, 2011 03:00:40 AM kdepim-users-request at kde.org wrote:
> On Saturday 09 April 2011 19:03:21 Donald J. Stewart wrote:
>
> Donald, replying from Digest mode breaks the threads and makes it
> difficult  for people to follow.  Also as you can see here, you end up
> without a meaningful subject, which lowers your chances of getting a good
> reply.
>
> > thanks again Anne...first off, I apologize, I write music...I have a
> > strong commitment to open source 'computing' -- but I am not a
> > programmer, simply a user...when upgrading I hope the previous folders,
> > files, ways of doing things remain in place, and when they don't, I am
> > at a loss...
> >

> > Upon one of the upgrades from 4.3 to 4.4 or 4.4 to 4.5...not sure which
> > one, my contacts disappeared...
> >

> > now...
> >

> > in System Settings>Personal Information I have the tab that selects
> > Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Alarms...
> >

> > under Contacts, I see:
> >

> > Name akonadi-resource Type akonadi Standard Yes
> >

> > I click Edit
> >

> > under General Settings I see:
> >

> > Name: akonadi-resource
> >

> > I click Manage Address Book Sources, select Add and see:
> >

> > KDE Address Book
> > Knut
> > Kolab Groupware Server
> > Nepomuk Contact Feeder
> > Personal Contacts
> > VCard Directory
> > VCard File
> >

> > Selecting Personal Contacts allows me to select the folder you mentioned
> >
> > earlier:
> >

> > ~/.local/share/contacts/
> >

> > during this process, what have I done wrong?
> >

> Nothing at all.  That's absolutely fine, but it has to get populated.  This
> is  usually done by an automatic migration, and if that failed you have to
> do something about it manually - not ideal, but not too difficult.  So....
>
> Start the same process over, and we'll get your std.vcf installed as a
> resource next.  This time, in Manage Resources, select  VCard File and
> polint  the address line to ~/.kde (kde4 in some distros)
> /share/apps/kabc/std.vcf and complete the process.  When you restart
> Kontact you should see that you now have an empty Personal Contacts and an
> std.vcf resource with your old contacts in.  If you can't see it, use Add
> Address Book from the right-click menu, and choose std.vcf.

OK, so I followed exactly what I did before, and as you said, selected std.vcf
here, and when I open Kontact again, I see that I indeed have an empty
Personal Contacts folder...

...but also an empty std.vcf file as well...

Both Personal Contacts and std.vcf in the Address Books column show 156 files
that take up 0 bytes...and the Name column is completely blank

...I know I have about 156 files in my std.vcf folder as I can open and look
at it in Kate, but it takes up 37 kb as I see in Dolphin...

> Once you have that you can drag your addresses into Personal Contacts.

the problem is that there is nothing to drag into Personal Contacts...

> Finally, go back into the Management routine, and click the boxes for
> Contacts  and Distribution lists to be added to Personal Contacts.  Also,
> before you leave the System Settings page, highlight Personal Contacts and
> click Set as Standard.

I have only akonadi-resource in this file, but within akonadi-resource is
Address Books and Resource Settings and this is where I added Personal
Contacts and std.vcf...should I add these on their own somewhere?

> That should get you sorted.  Come back if you get stuck, but you seem to
> have  managed the first part fine, so you should be OK.

I must be doing something wrong as I have done this routine 100 times with the
same results...there are a few others on gentoo forums who have not solved
this as well...