[kdepim-users] HELP Kontact/Akonadi Problems

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Sep 9 00:53:49 BST 2010

Hi,

I have been using kmail for a couple of months and really like it and recently
setup Kontact to integrate Korganizer and an address book. I also frequently
use the hierarchical to do list. All in all I am pretty happy and find the GUI
and most functions really useful.

A problem I have encountered though is the Akonadi database not running
properly at startup resulting in a dialog appearing stating that the server is
not working. On occasion my address book appears faded out with a red cross
indicating the server is not running.

I have visited the online help pages and followed all the instructions, check
all the prerequisites, etc etc but have not been able to shake this problem. I
have uninstalled then  reinstalled the program several times to no avail.

I have chalked it up to Kontact/Akonadi not playing well with Ubuntu/Gnome
Desktop. I am however getting quite frustrated and find myself searching for
alternative packages. Something equally good but one that does not throw
errors all the time.

As a last resort I am asking this list for help to solve this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

   OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
   Software: Kontact 4.4.2.
   Kmail 1.13.2.