[kdepim-users] How do I backup a user's PIM data

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 13:30:18 BST 2010

I had a problem recently for which the only reasonable cure was to
delete .kde, or rather replace it with a new one.  But the same could
occur if I was moving from one machine to another, or replacing the
hard drive in a laptop.

I found that I had to copy all manner of bits and pieces across to get
all the functionality of kdepim up and running again, but I still missed
and had to recreate some.

This problem will only get worse with the introduction of the database
based Akonadi and more bits get moved into the DB.  And of course
during the migration what needs to be copied and from where will change.

Would it be a good idea to have a backup/restore utility which mirrors
the current layout and produces a complete and comprehensive backup
of all current features of kdepim?

David