[kdepim-users] Re: sent mail to accounts whose incoming mail is imap

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 10:52:10 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 Oct 2010 15:49:00 David Goodenough wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a kmail setup (1.13.5) which has one POP account, and two
> > disconnected IMAP accounts.  This setup has been migrated over
> > several years from much older versions.
> >
> > The two IMAP accounts are talking to servers which run exim4 and
dbmail.
> > So outbound mail does not normally appear in any of the dbmail
folders.

> > When I send mail it gets copied into ~/Mail/sent-mail, which ever
account
> > I use to sent it (which is good), but only the ones for the POP account
> > seem to get displayed when I look in the sent-mail folder under Local
> > Folders.  There are INBOX.sent-mail folders on the two IMAP accounts,
but
> > they are empty and anyway they point to different files when you look at
> > the properties.
> >
> > I can not find any settings which filter (or not) the available mail in
> > sent-mail.
> >
> > Is is possible (and if so how) to either set up separate sent-mail
> > folders for the two IMAP accounts which filter just the mail for that
> > account or to remove the filter on the sent-mail folder so that all mail
> > is displayed.
>
> I can think of two possible solutions for your consideration - one of them
> may suit, depending on your present situation.
>
> If you filter your POP and IMAP accounts into separate folders you can
> right- click on the folder in question, choose Properties, and elect to
> keep replies in the same folder.  The weakness of this is that if you
> originate a thread that message will have to be manually pulled into the
> folder, but otherwise it works fine.
>
> The second solution is to use a separate identity for each account - you
> may already do this?  If you do, choose to Modify the account, and on the
> Advanced tab you can set a custom sent-mail folder - create it under the
> mail account folder if you wish.
>
> Anne
Anne,

I have separate identities, so I took the second option.  I had looked
under Accounts for the location of the sent-mail folder, and missed it
under Identities.

Now I suppose I need to find a program that will read the sent-mail file,
parse each email, look at the sender, and move the ones for the two
accounts into the sent-mail folder for that account.  You don't happen
to know of such a beast do you?

David