[kdepim-users] Re: Kmail retriving from procmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 11 19:55:05 GMT 2010

On Thursday 11 November 2010, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 00:35:34 on Thursday Thursday 11 November 2010, Ingo Klöcker
>
> <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > KMail does not cope well if another application like procmail
> > messes around with KMail's folders. That's why our recommendation
> > is to use a local IMAP server in combination with fetchmail and
> > procmail.
> >
> > A possible alternative is the usage of "Local mailbox" accounts to
> > make  KMail fetch the messages from the files procmail writes the
> > messages to. See http://kmail.kde.org/manual/faq.html#id2793464 for
> > details.
>
> Yes, I read that Tuesday, and quoted it a few minutes ago in this
> thread, in answer to the suggestion that I configure procmail to
> deposit its output messages in user files from which Kmail should
> retrieve them. So that was the plan I had in mind when I wrote this
> query. The question I am asking is related only to Kmail, namely how
> to I configure Kmail to retrieve messages from those files (what you
> are calling local mailboxes) instead of from the remote servers?

Well, as I said you need to create a few "Local mailbox" accounts, one
for each file procmail writes the messages to.

To set up such an account go to Settings->Configure KMail->Accounts-
>Receiving and click Add. Select the Account Type "Local mailbox". Then
give the account a suitable name and point File location to the file
procmail writes to. Leave the Locking Method as it is (i.e. Procmail
lockfile). Optionally, enable interval mail checking and/or select
another destination folder (which is used for messages for which none of
your filters match).