[kdepim-users] Re: Kmail retriving from procmail

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Wed Nov 10 22:41:59 GMT 2010

At 00:11:09 on Thursday Thursday 11 November 2010, Werner Joss
<werner at hoernerfranzracing.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 10. November 2010, um 22:23:11 schrieb Stan Goodman:
> > None of the above resembles anything I have read or heard from
> > others. It is my  understanding that fetchmail is to retrieve mail
> > directly from the servers (which which are in Ohio, California, and
> > Russia); I have not heard that I need a local server.
>
> you don't need one, if you don't want :)
> - you can also just use fetchmail/procmail to store messages in your
> local filesystem (e.g. directly the directories that kmail uses)

That's said frequently in pages that Google turns up. KDE, on the other
hand, says as follows:

*****
6.20 Can I use KMail and procmail?

Yes, but it's important to do it the right way or you might lose mail. In
order to use procmail and KMail you need to set up KMail so that it will
fetch new mail from the spoolfiles in which procmail drops your mail. Do
not set up procmail to deliver mail in a KMail folder, this cannot work.

For each procmail spoolfile, you then need to create an account from which
KMail will fetch new mail. You also need to make sure you specify the
right lockfile name for this account. When setting up an account, KMail
will do some minimal parsing on your procmail file, and will try to list
every spoolfile it has found, and also the lockfiles next to the "procmail
lockfile" item. procmail lets the user specify lockfiles in three
different ways, so there's no way to establish a correspondence between
the spoolfiles and lockfiles. So it's really up to you to make sure you
specify the right lockfile for each spoolfile.
*****
In any case, I have an extensive and good set of filters, and I might just
as well use them, rather than reinvent the wheel in procmail-speak.

> > My understanding is as I described in my
> > query, that Kmail (in its receiving mode) doesn't see remote servers
> > at all.
>
> sure, that will work, too, see before.
> it is just a common thing to additionally use a local (imap-) server in
> conjunction with fetchmail/procmail.
> this way you can use as many clients/programs (e.g. kmail) to actually
> access your mails from any other computer in your local network.
> if you just have one client, you can easily omit this.

The network has two machines, both within easy reach, interconnected by
nfs. There is no point in enterprise-level complication.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on