[kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu May 13 10:37:32 BST 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Wed May 12 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I don't see the problem. If those Akonadi resources are not used
> > then they won't use any CPU and, consequently, don't produce any
> > heat. If those Akonadi resources wouldn't exist then KMail would
> > use that bit CPU that's now used by the resources. In KDE SC 3.5
> > the resources were hidden in-process. Now they are separate
> > processes. That doesn't make them more CPU or memory hungry.
> >
> > What you definitely want to do is disable strigi, but I guess you
> > already did so.
> >
> > Alternatively, follow Werner's example and stay with KDE SC 3.5. If
> > all you want is email then there's no point in using KDE SC 4.4.
>
> Easy enough to say, but in practice it's impossible to do if you want
> to use a "modern" version of KDE. To use KDE 3.5, I'd have to
> downgrade KDE completely and would not be able to use the advanced
> features of the WM that I *like.* Unfortunately, I'd have to
> recompile everything from scratch to stick with the "old style"
> KMail.

So you want to use a modern version of the KDE SC but not a modern
version of KMail? Well, thanks to the KDE SC being Free Software nobody
stops you from doing so. If you don't want to compile the necessary
parts of KDE SC 3.5 yourself then please ask your distribution to
provide the corresponding packages. We only provide source code.

> My only question is "if these things aren't even being used, why are
> they running in the first place?" Is it a *requirement* that all
> this crap run in the background? Why do you require all this junk
> just to get email? Am I going to have to sacrifice the functionality
> and experience and get a new email client?

Crap? Junk? If you think this is crap and junk then, yes, please get
another email client. We don't need users who think that what we do is
crap and junk.