[kdepim-users] Can't set encryption key for contact

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon May 17 12:54:39 BST 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 00:07:52 Pascal Bernhard wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm encountering the following problem with Kmail:
> When trying to set the encryption preferences for my contacts in the
> address book (of Kmail), I can see the available public keys, but when I
> try to pick one, the button OK is not activated. The keys have the trust
> level set to "Fully" via Kgpg, though I have not signed them, as I do not
> know the people that well. The encryption settings work well with an older
> contact, I already sent encyrpted mails to, when still using Ubuntu 9.04
> on my old computer. I have switched to Debian Squeeze which comes with
> Kmail 1.12.4 and KDE 4.3.4. Gnupg2 is version 2.0.14-1, Gnupg 1.4.10-2 is
> also installed, but I cannot remove it, since this would deinstall
> Akregator & Kontact too.
> Any advice would be appreciated.

The fact that you are willing to exchange encrypted mail with a person denotes
a certain level of trust, and gpg has a facility for this.  If you use

gpg --lsign-key xxxxxxxxx (the key's 8-character shortform)

it 'local-signs' the key.  A local-signed key of course should not be uploaded
to a keyserver, as you are not in a position to guarantee to someone else that
there has been adequate checking.  It should, though, satisfy the needs for
signing and encrypting mail in KMail.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group