[kdepim-users] KMail and IMAP

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Sun Mar 21 14:06:13 GMT 2010

Frank Thieme <frank at fthieme.net> wrote

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 23:45, Malte Gell <malte.gell at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I created now an IMAP account and I can subscribe to a folder locally or
> > server based. When I subscribe to a folder server based, this means I
> > read all mails on the server and no mail gets downloaded, right? And if
> > subscribed locally, the mails gets downloaded, right?
>
> No. Thats just a list of folders you want to read. Kmail fecthes those
> list from server. If it is a server based list, then you get the same
> folders for every program who wants access them. If this list is
> locally, just kmail know which folders you wanna read.

Ok, server based lists means, these folders are globally subscribed. If e.g. I
use IMAP with my mobile phone I see those folders I subscribed with KMail,
right?

> The difference between folders read online or cached is IMAP or
> disconnected IMAP (dIMAP). There is no mixed version like in
> thunderbird, tough...

I don't remember what KMail suggested when I first installed my IMAP account...
I think it is online IMAP, at least I hope so... What  mixed thing does
Thunderbird offer? Some Mozilla specific implementation?

Regards
Malte