[kdepim-users] Limited by Ical or Vcard

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:19:02 GMT 2010

> Obviously. That's the whole point of standards.

Of course!

> OTOH, nobody can stop us
> from extending the standards via custom fields that are supported by all
> KDE applications.

And from there, I'd love to see Kontact develop innovative features.
That is why I asked.

> We do already have the birthday resource which shows all birthdays
> defined in the address book in the calendar. Showing opening hours the
> same way would be very easy (once we have decided on a "standard"), but
> also not really usable because the calendar would be flooded with
> parallel events.

In difference to the birthday resource, the Opening Hours would _not_
be shown on the calendar. The information would be available for
querying, but should not be shown in normal usage.

> Anyway, I don't see what the problem with iCalendar or
> vCard is as both support custom information.

Please mention that on the bug report to ask Tobias. I suppose his
concern is not _how_ to store the data, but rather that other
applications could not use it.

> If you want to extend the standards then please do not hesitate to get
> involved with the standardization groups or at least to propose your
> features to those groups.

These guys:
http://www.imc.org/

Will do, thanks!