[kdepim-users] Folder identities [SOLVED]

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Mar 29 17:17:12 BST 2010

On Monday 29 March 2010 03:42:44 am Frank Thieme wrote:
> On Monday 29 March 2010 08:42:04 Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 March 2010 13:14:22 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Do the three accounts need different passwords?  Just wondering,
> > > because unlike most ISPs, gmail requires you to login with your
> > > password to send.
> >

> > Yeah, all three have different passwords, but all were set to the same
> > "Special Transport"
> >

> > Actually, I think this is a bug, but one that may only manifest itself in
> > unique situations.
>
> if you have different passwords, so they are different transports. Maybe
> this  is a misunderstanding over there, but the transport is the
> combination of server, user and password...

Let me try to clarify this.

Acct 1/Identity 1 = straight gmail; transport is gmail username with gmail
password
Acct 2/Identity 2 = googles app hosted domain with different domain name that
resolves to gmail.
Acct 3/ Identity 3 = just like Acct 2, but with a different domain name hosted
by google apps.
Acct 4(Acct 1)/Identity 4 = this verizon.net acct with its own transport, but
fetched through gmail Acct 1.  This one never had a problem and its identity
was never tied to gmail.

Identity 2 is the default identity.

Before I fixed it. I just used the Acct 1 transport for Accts 1-3, no matter
which IMAP account the Acct was hitting.  This resulted in all folders in all
IMAP (except folders associated with Acct 4) constantly reverting to Identity
2 -- whether I used the GUI or edited kmailrc directly.  I did this because
all the google related SMTPs ultimately resolve to smtp.gmail.com.

I fixed it by editing the identities of Accts 1-3 to use their own transports.

The bug seems to be that "Identities don't stick if they share a transport,
but not an incoming server/UID/PWD"

Complicated, but I hope it makes sense.

--
Art Alexion