[kdepim-users] KMail locks up

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Jun 18 01:17:40 BST 2010

On Thursday 17 June 2010 6:54:32 pm John Aldrich wrote:
> On Thu June 17 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 June 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> > > Ok. I just updated to KDEPIM 4.4.4 x86-64 this morning. We'll see if
> > > it made any difference. One thing I want to make note of is that
> > > POP3 and IMAP continue running even after I've closed KMail. Is this
> > > normal?
> >
> > Yes, it is expected behavior that they continue running for a short
> > period of time. See my other reply.
> >

> Well, I came home, started up KMail and started composing a message. Just
> as I was about done, it locked up. The mouse was still working as was the
> system, just KMail would not respond at all. Had to open a Konsole window
> and kill all the processes. Strangely enough, there was no IMAP process
> running that I could see. just POP3. I also manually stopped Akonadi and
> let it restart when I restarted KMail. This was NOT a "crash," just a lock-
> up. :-(
> Wish I'd thought to check the status of Akonadi and POP/IMAP before
> starting KMail.

Something similar happened to me today.
Turned out to be the fault of Nepomuk.. sorta.

Apparently I had a "hung" automount for an external drive.
The drive had been knocked-out by a power outage and when
things came back they didn't mount properly.  And it seems
that Nepomuk tried to index that drive anyway -- and got hung
too when trying to access it.

One way to know if the problem is Nepomuk-related:
go into System Settings->Advanced tab->Desktop Search
See if that hangs too.

check all your mounts and make sure they are working properly.