[kdepim-users] Save Kmail settings

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 20 11:01:29 BST 2010

On Sunday 20 June 2010, Pascal Bernhard wrote:
> Am Wednesday 16 June 2010 10:23:46 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > On Wednesday 16 June 2010 04:39:32 Pascal Bernhard wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I will have to do a fresh install of my Debian Linux, so I would
> > > like to know, whether I can save my Kmail settings (editor
> > > prefereces, folder layout, etc.) to have them restored quite
> > > quickly in the new system. Evolution has the feature to make a
> > > backup of the settings , including all mails in a tar.gz -
> > > archive, but I cannot find anything similiar in Kmail.
> >
> > http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Transfer_mail_and
> > _setting
> > s_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machi
> > ne.29
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hey Anne,
>
> I installed GNU Debian Squeeze anew after having saved all the
> configuration files for KDE apps on an USB stick.

What exactly did you save? Everything in ~/.kde/share/config?

> Well, I replaced
> the "new" files in my my home partition with the backups and it
> worked barely at all. Only the text editor Kate had all the previous
> settings restored immediately. Kmail only recognized the account
> settings for receiving messages, all other things like sending,

This is stored in ~/.kde/share/config/mailtransports

> layout,

Hmm. That should be in ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc. Or maybe you mean
something else with layout?

> shortcuts, toolbar

This is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/*.rc

> and address books

Maybe the configuration of Akonadi is missing. It is stored in
~/.config/akonadi/

> had the configured
> manually. Other programs like Akregator, Basket or Okular did not
> recognize any of the saved settings. Maybe I understood the How-to
> on KDE User Base wrong....

Well, the How-to is apparently incomplete (it doesn't include the
shortcuts and toolbar configuration and it doesn't include Akonadi's
configuration). Moreover, it only deals with KMail. So, it's not really
surprising that "Akregator, Basket or Okular did not recognize any of
the saved settings".

I can only repeat my recommendation always to copy your complete home
folder because this is the only way which guarantees that no data and no
settings are lost. The second recommendation is to keep the home folder
on a separate partition because this way you can replace the system
without affecting your data and settings. (Of course, you should still
make a complete backup of your data. Just in case something goes wrong.)