[kdepim-users] KMail locks up

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jun 15 19:35:07 BST 2010

On Tuesday 15 June 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Mon June 14 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> > On Sun June 13 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> > > Yeah... I've probably got a more unusual setup than most -- I
> > > have both IMAP and multiple POP3 connections that get checked
> > > automatically at intervals.
> >
> > I just got to thinking, it only seems to lock up when I'm home,
> > *after* I've been using VNC. I'll try to ensure I've got Akonadi
> > shut down, and all that and see if maybe that's the problem. I
> > suspect that Akonadi isn't shutting down completely and that may
> > be the issue.
>
> Ok. I just got home and in a console window I ran "akonadictl stop"
> and came up with no response (proper when shutting it down.) To be
> on the safe side, I ran the command again and got an error (proper
> when Akonadi is not running.) This, to me, means, that Aknodi is
> *not* shutting down when I shut down KMail, which I do NOT think is
> proper behavior.

It is absolutely proper behavior. Akonadi is a background service that
is completely independent of KMail. KAddressBook and KOrganizer also use
Akonadi and I guess you wouldn't want to start KMail every time you want
to look up an address (in KAddressBook) or put an appointment in your
calendar (in KOrganizer). The event notifier (korgac) also uses Akonadi.
I suppose you would want to be reminded about upcoming appointments even
if KMail was not running.

Maybe reading
  http://community.kde.org/Promo/Strategy/Akonadi
will help clear up what Akonadi is and what it is not.