[kdepim-users] Signing/encryption again again...

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 23:37:19 BST 2010

Hi

I must have some mental lapse with this because I'm really having a hard time
getting it to work.
Well on the good side: I (maybe) finally got signing/encrypting using my
S/MIME X.509 certificate - Yeah :-)

But this is only used when communicating with the Danish authorities so I
decided to create a gpg key pair (again cause I lost my private key in an HD
crash a couple of years ago - I know - backup).
I used most of last night trying and failing, exporting and revoking and so
forth. At last I succeeded creating a key pair with DSA/ElGamal 2048/2048
length, creating backups of the keys and a revocation certificate, uploaded it
to a key server (hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net) and began configuring my KMail
identity for using it.
That worked fine for signing but when I wanted to select the key for
encryption it didn't show up in the list (and rescanning the list didn't
work).
Then looking at the key (certificate) in Kleopatra the details says:

This certificate is currently valid.
User-ID: Thomas Olsen <tanghus at gmail.com>
Validity: from 16/6-2010 22:59 through 15/6-2015 22:59
Certificate type: 2.048-bit DSA (secret certificate available)
Certificate usage: Signing EMails and Files
Fingerprint: D992A5A44F0A166333415AA581EF9891D1890168

How come it's only valid for signing?

On a side note: When seeing other peoples mails in KMail they are shown as
yellow saying: "The signature is valid, but the key's validity is unknown"
even though it is a key I have manually imported into my keyring (for testing
purposes I imported Anne Wilson's and Ingo Klöcker's).

Side note 2: I have checked "Automatically import keys and certificates" in
KMail but it doesn't happen?

Sorry for the long mail but I would really like for this to work.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen