[kdepim-users] KMail locks up

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 21:57:08 BST 2010

On Wed June 16 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 June 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> > On Tue June 15 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > It is absolutely proper behavior. Akonadi is a background service
> > > that is completely independent of KMail. KAddressBook and
> > > KOrganizer also use Akonadi and I guess you wouldn't want to start
> > > KMail every time you want to look up an address (in KAddressBook)
> > > or put an appointment in your calendar (in KOrganizer). The event
> > > notifier (korgac) also uses Akonadi. I suppose you would want to
> > > be reminded about upcoming appointments even if KMail was not
> > > running.
> > >
> > > Maybe reading
> > >
> > >   http://community.kde.org/Promo/Strategy/Akonadi
> > >
> > > will help clear up what Akonadi is and what it is not.
> >
> > Well, considering I don't open KAB separately from KMail and don't
> > use Korganizer or anything else, except KMail (I really have no need
> > for a full Outlook "clone" at home.)
> >
> > At this point inertia has set in enough that I don't want to change
> > email clients, but if this keeps happening, I might have to. I
> > certainly do not want to lose my existing emails.
> >
> > I find it hard to believe that it's proper for Akonadi to hose things
> > up when I don't shut it down at the end of the day.
>
> Of course, that's not proper behavior. It's a bug in Akonadi.
>
> > Either Akonadi needs to share resources or it needs to shut down when
> > the X session started by VNC gets shut down.
>
> IMO the former is the correct solution. Shutting down Akonadi shouldn't
> be necessary. Instead Akonadi needs to be fixed. Please file a bug
> report for this if you haven't done so already.

Ok. I'm not *positive* it's an Akonadi problem, because I noticed the last
time I went to shut down KMail, I tried to kill Akonadi but it didn't shut
down because I still had active POP3 and IMAP connections, even when the
GUI closed completely. I'll see if I just need to make sure that POP and
IMAP are no longer running or if it's truly an Akonadi problem.