[kdepim-users] Saving sent mail and sent mail info

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 13 17:58:09 BST 2010

On Sunday 13 June 2010, r bartlett wrote:
> I'm about to migrate my FC11 system to my new FC13 one and was
> frustrated by the loss (last time) of the very important "Replied,"
> "Forwarded," etc. information that was not copied over when I
> upgraded, and by the fact that the Wizard for importing old mail
> didn't also import my Sent Mail folder...meaning I lost that
> entirely.  It's often VITAL that I know what mail has been answered,
> what mail I'm still waiting for, and what mail I haven't gotten
> around to replying to...so is there a good way (yet) to import ALL
> my mail, info, folders, structure, and so on?

I recommend to copy your entire home folder, i.e. /home/barlett (or
whatever it's called), from your old system to your new system. This is
the only way that guarantees that nothing is lost.

If you do not want to follow my recommendation then read
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Transfer_mail_and_settings_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machine.29

BTW, I strongly recommend to put all user data (i.e. the folder /home)
on a separate hard disk partition. This way you can install a new system
while leaving your user data untouched. I am doing this since ages and I
have never lost a single bit of information. (Of course, I'm also doing
regular backups just in case something goes wrong. So far, I didn't need
them. *knocks on wood*)