[kdepim-users] KMail crashing every time in 4.5 RC2

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jul 24 22:12:23 BST 2010

On Saturday 24 July 2010, Jim Philips wrote:
> 2010/7/24 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>
>
> > On Saturday 24 July 2010, Jim Philips wrote:
> > > Every time I try to start KMail or Kontact, I get a crash. I am
> > > running Kubuntu 10.04, but got no responses from the Kubuntu
> > > groups. If I start from the command line, the output looks like
> > > this:
> > >
> > > rebus at rebus-desktop:~$ kmail
> > > Connecting to deprecated signal
> > > QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QSt
> > > ring ) kmail(3603) KMFolderMgr::removeFolderAux: Can not find
> > > parent folder for Last Search
> > > kmail(3603) KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon: Could not read image
> > > from "" kmail(3603) KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon: Could not
> > > read image from "" kmail(3603) KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon:
> > > Could not read image from "" kmail(3603)
> > > KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon: Could not read image from ""
> > > kmail(3603) KMFolderImap::account: No parent folder found for
> > > "1524481668" <unknown program name>(3602)/: Communication
> > > problem with  "kmail" , it probably crashed. Error message was:
> > > "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not
> > > receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
> > >
> > > KCrash: Application 'kmail' crashing...
> > > KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from
> > > kdeinit
> > > sock_file=/home/rebus/.kde/socket-rebus-desktop/kdeinit4__0
> > >
> > > Is anyone else having similar issues? Any idea what is going on?
> >
> > Occasionally, I also get such a crash. For me it is related to
> > shared IMAP folders belonging to other people. To avoid the crash
> > on startup I have to cancel the dialog asking for the password of
> > my IMAP account. Then, when KMail has started, I can access the
> > IMAP account without problems.
> >
> > After getting this annoying crash a few times I have switched my
> > IMAP account to show only subscribed folders. I think this has
> > fixed the problem for me permanently (or maybe I have just been
> > lucky).
>
> Thanks Ingo. I would try that, but the crash is always immediate. So,
> I don't have any time to change settings in KMail. Someone suggested
> renaming the Mail folder in my home directory and trying again, but
> this made no difference.

Try deleting the local cache of the IMAP account, i.e. delete (or move
to a backup folder) the following files and folders:
  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap/1524481668
  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap/.1524481668.directory
  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap/.1524481668.index
  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap/.1524481668.index.ids