[kdepim-users] wrong message size

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 20:12:58 BST 2010

On Wednesday 14 July 2010, Dj YB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> kmail 1.13.3
>
> Does anyone else see a wrong size for messages?
> I got two messages with attachments, the messages size shown is 135%
> of the true size.

I suppose you compared the size of the saved attachment with the message
size. The thing is that in email only text is allowed. Therefore binary
attachments have to be converted to text for inclusion in an email
message (tech speak: the attachments are base64-encoded). As the name of
the encoding suggests it uses 64 different symbols (52 letters, 10
numbers and 2 additional characters). 64 symbols are equivalent to 6
bits. Binary data needs 8 bits. So, if you encode 3 bytes (= 24 bits) of
binary data with the base64-codec then you get 4 text symbols (because
24 = 4*6). Consequently, if you encode 1 MB of binary data you get
roundabout 1.33 MB of text (which is 133 % of the size of the binary
data).

Conclusion: Sending large binary attachments via email is inefficient
and probably even expensive if you have to pay for the amount of data
you upload. It's much better to upload large binary files to an online
store where the recipients can download it from.