[kdepim-users] Question about managing lock files for Kmail

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Mon Jan 11 11:39:51 GMT 2010

> On Sunday, 2010-01-10, David Southwell wrote:
> > I know problem is resolved by an # rm lock but the failure kmail to load
> >  does not load due to a lock file in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/ has
> >  irritated me recently.
> >
> > The removal of outdated lock files could be automated when the X-server
> > is booted for the first time following a system reboot. However I do not
> > know the implications. Would there be any reason not to build a script
> > which searches for and removes any lock file in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/
> > for our users before they run their startx command is launched?
>
> If this is the only way your users can login then this should probably
>  work. It could be dangerous if they can login in a different way, e.g. an
>  SSH session with X forwarding through which they would already run KMail
>  when launching startx locally.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

This looks suitable for us atm as, currently, X forwarding is not allowed. If
it were allowed I guess we would need to alter the script to search for an
extant forwarding session and force a closure of that session. Prudence tells
me some extra security checks would then be needed (in addition to password).

David