[kdepim-users] Folder identities

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Fri Jan 1 16:55:36 GMT 2010

On Thursday 31 December 2009 05:22:15 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 December 2009, Art Alexion wrote:
> > I have been having problem with the folder identities that I set,
> >  "sticking". Perhaps, a better understanding of the design may help
> >  me solve this problem.
> >
> > What exactly does the "Default Identity" mean?  Is it the global
> >  default identity set in the Identities settings, or the account
> >  default identity set in the Accounts settings?
>
> It is the global default identity.
>
> IIRC then the identity specified for an account is used to determine the
> Drafts folder and the Sent-mail folder (and probably also the Templates
> folder). I don't know whether it is used for anything else.
>
> I agree that this is completely non-obvious and confusing.
>
> > When "Use default identity" is set in the folder preferences, is the
> >  any significance to the greyed out identity?  Is it the default
> >  identity being used, or just the last custom identity selected?
>
> The greyed out identity bears no significance.

Filed a bug report on this.  Have narrowed the behavior to this:

I have 3 identities:
* verizon.net (which is retrieved via gmail) and is not a default identity in
the identities settings nor the account settings
* alexion.com which is the default identity for kmail
* gmail.com which is the default identity for my gmail account and also set as
the default identity in several folders under the gmail imap account

For the purposes of this problem, I have 2 imap accounts (both hosted by
gmail).  In the gmail account, folder identities are set to either gmail.com
or verizon.net.  The settings for the verizon.net folders (which are neither
the global default identity, nor the account default identity) stick.  The
settings for the gmail.com folders slide back to the alexion.com identity,
however.

This "sliding back", or failure to "stick" does not occur instantly.  The
identities stick for a while.  Nor is it triggered by a restart of kmail; it
just seems to happen after 15 minutes or so.

I hope this helps in diagnosing the problem.

By the way where is the identity configuration stored?

--
Art Alexion