[kdepim-users] Support for palm devices in KDE SC 4.4 and beyond?

Donald F. Robertson donaldfr at donaldfrobertson.com
Sat Jan 9 19:54:26 GMT 2010

 > I don't know if they still make them and
 > sell them elsewhere.

They do not, unfortunately, since the Zaurus was a fantastic machine.
They are developing an Ubuntu device with similar physical
characteristics.  A good source for news is here,

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/

I've heard it may be possible to get the old Platform Independent KDE to
run on Ubuntu, but non-trivial; I haven't tried it yet.  I've had
success copying the flat files from the Zaurus / Qt contact DB to a
modern KDE installation, but less so with calendar files.

Also, some of the old Psion engineers (in my opinion, one of the two
best palmtops ever designed -- the other being the HP-200LX) have
developed an Ubuntu device with a similar footprint,

http://psixpda.com/content/psixpda-pocket-computer

the Psion-5MX actually had a keyboard you could touch type on in a
device slightly larger than an American check book -- it would fit into
a breast pocket -- and outstanding software that later evolved into the
Symbian OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_5mx

-- Donald

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Friday 08 January 2010 06:17:35 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> If/when you need to switch, you could be right in choosing Nokia.  They
>>  are  committed to working with KDE in a number of areas.
>>

> Sharp used to make a Zaurus that actually ran Pocket Qt, almost KDE.  They
> stopped selling them in the US, and I don't know if they still make them and
> sell them elsewhere.

Donald F. Robertson
San Francisco

DonaldFR at DonaldFRobertson.com
www.DonaldFRobertson.com

The known is finite, the unknown is infinite; intellectually we stand on
an islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of inexplicability.  Our
business in every generation is to reclaim a little more land.  --
Thomas Huxley.