[kdepim-users] Where to set application details

bill purvis bill at billp.org
Fri Jan 22 11:54:09 GMT 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2010-01-21, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > Hmmm, that doesn't exist either! I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, which is
> > > the Gnome-based version of Ubuntu, but I downloaded kmail and
> > > whatever dependencies Ubuntu packages specify for it. At one time I
> > > was running Mandrake with the KDE desktop, and the .kde/... tree
> > > migrated across with my personal files so I don't know what's ancient
> > > or what's relevant to present stuff. I also installed kscd to play my
> > > CD's but am greatly disappointed in it's present incarnation (no
> > > indication of which track is playing, much bigger footprint, etc.)
> >
> > I'm out of ideas. Sorry. Maybe you need to ask some Gnome users
> > where/how you can change file associations.
>
> Unless Canonical has patched KMail, it should be using KDE's associations.
> Since I didn't see any reply to Werner Joss' suggestion, I'll requote it
>  (and because it is also what I would have suggested to look at)

> or
>
> kcmshell4 filetypes
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. My first reaction was that this was probably not
on my system (as I am basically a Gnome user), but it is there and
I opened it and it reported 'kbuildsycoca4 running...', gave a few
other cryptic comments about invalid escape sequences, and then opened
up. Looking under applications it reported OpenOffice 3.1 for various
Word and Excel document types, so I clicked OK and even without restarting
Kmail it now get sit right. Many thanks!

Bill