[kdepim-users] KDE SC 4.4.0 and address book (solved)

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sun Feb 28 14:32:51 GMT 2010

Am Sunday 28 February 2010 12:49:14 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > sure, I could just host the native akonadi ressource folders
> > (~.local/share/contacts/ ...) on a dropbox/ubuntu-one share,
> > but that would result I could not use this directly from kde 3.5.x
> > machines.
>
> That's not true. ~.local/share/contacts/ is nothing else but a folder
> containing containing individual vCard files. This is exactly the same
> as the "local folder" resource supported by KDE SC 3.5.

ok, I see.
I just didn't look into this so far, because I don't like to have a folder
full of a bunch of files with arcane names as a base ressource for my
contacts, but rather a simple, easy to use vcard file...

> But you do not have to. You can also simply create a VCard File address
> book and use this with Akonadi and KDE SC 3.5.

again, ok :)
I thought the vcard file address book could only be used by akonadi through
the compatibility layer..

> I think you are a bit confused by all this new stuff and this is fully
> understandable for anybody who does not follow the development as
> closely as I do. I'll try to solve a bit of your confusion.
>
> KDE SC 3.5 supported (via the KDE Resources framework) address books
> stored in many different ways, e.g.
> - a vCard file
> - a folder containing individual vCards (one per contact)
> - on an IMAP server
> - ...
>
> Akonadi supports address books stored in (not yet many) different ways,
> e.g.
> - a vCard file (via a native Akonadi resource)

ok, got it - works well :)

> - a folder containing individual vCards (one per contact) (via a native
> Akonadi resource)
> - on an IMAP server (via the compatibility Akonadi resource)
> - everything supported by the KDE Resources framework (via the
> compatibility Akonadi resource)
>
> What does change with Akonadi?
> For the developer: A lot. Akonadi is a whole new way to access PIM data.
> For the users: Basically nothing. Maybe the terminology used in the
> applications will change a bit, but we try not to expose technical terms
> in the user interface.
>
> In particular, what does not change with Akonadi is the actual storage.
> Akonadi is no storage. It is very often confused with a storage. But it
> is no storage. Akonadi is a layer between the storage (vCard file,
> folder with vCards, IMAP folder) and the applications.

well, thanks,
these explanations really clarify things alot.
I'll keep this mail in my local archive for reference :)

werner