[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 8 20:18:58 GMT 2010

On Monday 08 February 2010, Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Monday 08 February 2010 12:04:42 schrieb Art Alexion:
> > This sounds promising for my situation.  Exchange (which I use at
> > work) is not IMAP, but I can access it with the IMAP protocol.
> > Exchange actually creates "mail" folders for notes, contacts, etc.
> > I am foing to try to see if Kontact can read and display this
> > exchange data this way.
>
> I doubt, this will not work: kontact assumes predefined names for the
> 'groupware' IMAP folders, e.g. 'Contacts' for address data etc.
> - dunno if exchange can be convinced to keep its data there ...

I don't think that Exchange exports its non-mail folders via IMAP. At
least, the Exchange server of my company doesn't do so. Also, I doubt
very much that the Exchange server would present the content of the
groupware folders in the Kolab format.

> > I am still a bit unclear about what I get with DIMAP
> > other than a local cache.  Would I need DIMAP to make this work if
> > I don't care about a local copy?
>
> afaik, DIMAP is mandatory, otherwise, kontact will not use the
> folders as 'groupware' storage.
> I remember there was a wish at BKO to also accept pure IMAP for this,
> but the developers refused to realize this for some (weird) reason.

It's not a weird reason. The problem is that KAddressBook and KOrganizer
assume that they have fast access to the data. They were not designed to
work with remote address books or calendars. (LDAP does work somehow in
KAddressBook, but this is only works for LDAP.) This is why using IMAP
instead of DIMAP would be insane.

The main reason for requesting this to work over IMAP was that in
earlier times one had to get the whole IMAP account via DIMAP. This
problem was fixed by the introduction of local subscription of folders.
Using this feature you can create a normal IMAP account for your mail
and a DIMAP account for the groupware folders. For the normal account
you subscribe to the mail folders and for the DIMAP account you
subscribe to the groupware folders.

With Akonadi we will get rid of the distinction between IMAP and DIMAP.
What is cached locally will then be controlled by caching policies which
can be defined per folder.