[kdepim-users] KMail problems

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 11:56:27 GMT 2010

On Sunday 28 February 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 27 February 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 February 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > At this point I've no idea.  All you told us was "I had some
> > > problems with KMail this evening when I went to start it back up
> > > after running it all day from remote."  You didn't tell us what
> > > problems, quote any error messages, or give us any other sort of
> > > clue.
> >
> > Ok. Fair enough. The exact problem was as follows: I clicked on
> > "KMail" icon in the menu and it came up and asked for my password to
> > open KWallet. Then when it came up, it wouldn't let me click on
> > anything. I could see the various folders, but could not click on
> > any of them or navigate on any menus. NOTHING worked. There were no
> > pop-up error messages or other notifications.
>
> Did you notice any indication (e.g. a small window with a progress bar)
> that Akonadi is being started? If not, please check whether Akonadi is
> running by running 'akonadictl status' in Konsole.
>
> Did KMail start on the second try?

Ingo:
I got the following report from Akonadi Server configuration:

Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
===============================

Test 1:  SUCCESS
--------

Database driver found.
Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is required by your current Akonadi
server configuration and was found on your system.

File content of '/home/john/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
[%General]
Driver=QMYSQL
SizeThreshold=4096
ExternalPayload=false

[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi
User=
Password=
Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket"
ServerPath=/usr/libexec/mysqld
StartServer=true
Host=

[Debug]
Tracer=null

Test 2:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server found.
Details: You currently have configured Akonadi to use the MySQL server
'/usr/libexec/mysqld'.
Make sure you have the MySQL server installed, set the correct path and
ensure you have the necessary read and execution rights on the server
executable. The server executable is typically called 'mysqld', its
locations varies depending on the distribution.

Test 3:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server is executable.
Details: MySQL server found: /usr/libexec/mysqld  Ver 5.1.42 for redhat-
linux-gnu on x86_64 (Source distribution)

Test 4:  ERROR
--------

MySQL server log contains errors.
Details: The MySQL server error log file '<a
href='/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err'>/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err</a>'
contains errors.

File content of '/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err':
100228  6:33:59 [Note] Plugin 'ndbcluster' is disabled.
100228  6:33:59  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 121847
100228  6:33:59 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table
'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
100228  6:33:59 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table
'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
100228  6:33:59 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.1.42-log'  socket:
'/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket'  port: 0  Source
distribution
100228  6:49:47 [Warning] Aborted connection 13 to db: 'akonadi' user:
'john' host: '' (Got an error reading communication packets)

Test 5:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server default configuration found.
Details: The default configuration for the MySQL server was found and is
readable at <a href='/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf'>/etc/akonadi/mysql-
global.conf</a>.

File content of '/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf':
#
# Global Akonadi MySQL server settings,
# These settings can be adjusted using $HOME/.config/akonadi/mysql-
local.conf
#
# Based on advice by Kris Köhntopp <kris at mysql.com>
#
[mysqld]
skip_grant_tables
skip_networking

# strict query parsing/interpretation
# TODO: make Akonadi work with those settings enabled
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables,strict_all_tables,strict_error_for_division_by_zero,no_auto_create_user,no_auto_value_on_zero,no_engine_substitution,no_zero_date,no_zero_in_date,only_full_group_by,pipes_as_concat
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables

# use InnoDB for transactions and better crash recovery
default_storage_engine=innodb
# case-insensitive table names, avoids trouble on windows
lower_case_table_names=1
character_set_server=latin1
collation_server=latin1_general_ci
table_cache=200
thread_cache_size=3
log_bin=mysql-bin
expire_logs_days=3
#sync_bin_log=0
# error log file name, relative to datadir
log_error=mysql.err
log_warnings=2
# log all queries, useful for debugging but generates an enormous amount of
data
#log=mysql.full
# log queries slower than n seconds, log file name relative to datadir (for
debugging only)
#log_slow_queries=mysql.slow
#long_query_time=1
# log queries not using indices, debug only, disable for production use
#log_queries_not_using_indexes=1
# maximum blob size
max_allowed_packet=32M
max_connections=256
# makes sense when having the same query multiple times
# makes no sense with prepared statements and/or transactions
query_cache_type=0
query_cache_size=0

innodb_file_per_table=1
innodb_log_buffer_size=1M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=1M
# messure database size and adjust
# SELECT sum(data_length) as bla, sum(index_length) as blub FROM
information_schema.tables WHERE table_schema not in ("mysql",
"information_schema");
innodb_buffer_pool_size=80M
# size of average write burst, keep Innob_log_waits small, keep
Innodb_buffer_pool_wait_free small (see show global status like "inno%",
show global variables)
innodb_log_file_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=2

Test 6:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server custom configuration found.
Details: The custom configuration for the MySQL server was found and is
readable at <a href='/etc/akonadi/mysql-local.conf'>/etc/akonadi/mysql-
local.conf</a>

File content of '/etc/akonadi/mysql-local.conf':

Test 7:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server configuration is usable.
Details: The MySQL server configuration was found at <a
href='/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf'>/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf</a>
and is readable.

File content of '/home/john/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf':
#
[...]

Test 8:  SUCCESS
--------

akonadictl found and usable
Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server
was found and could be executed successfully.
Result:
Akonadi 1.3.1

Test 9:  SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi control process registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi control process is registered at D-Bus which typically
indicates it is operational.

Test 10:  SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi server process registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi server process is registered at D-Bus which typically
indicates it is operational.

Test 11:  ERROR
--------

Nepomuk search service not registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Nepomuk search service is not registered at D-Bus which
typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during
startup.

Test 12:  SKIP
--------

Protocol version check not possible.
Details: Without a connection to the server it is not possible to check if
the protocol version meets the requirements.

Test 13:  SUCCESS
--------

Resource agents found.
Details: At least one resource agent has been found.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
birthdaysresource.desktop
contactsresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imapresource.desktop
kabcresource.desktop
kcalresource.desktop
knutresource.desktop
kolabproxyresource.desktop
localbookmarksresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
maildispatcheragent.desktop
mboxresource.desktop
microblog.desktop
mtdummyresource.desktop
nepomukcalendarfeeder.desktop
nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop
nepomukemailfeeder.desktop
nepomuktagresource.desktop
nntpresource.desktop
notesresource.desktop
pop3resource.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to '/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-
profile/default/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share'

Test 14:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its current
startup.

Test 15:  SUCCESS
--------

No previous Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its previous
startup.

Test 16:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its
current startup.

Test 17:  SUCCESS
--------

No previous Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its
previous startup.

How do I fix these problems???