[kdepim-users] Staus KMail/Akonadi POP3/SMTP support

Benjamin Traut b.traut at gmx.net
Sun Feb 28 14:57:11 GMT 2010

Hello,

On Sunday 28 February 2010 15:08:09 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> What is used for the kde-overlay? Stable KDE SC 4.4.x? Or bleeding
> edge which will become KDE SC 4.5?

they provide live ebuilds for 4.4.x and trunk (they are named
<packagename>-4.4.9999.ebuild for 4.4 branch and
<packagename>-9999.ebuild for trunk). I am using the trunk ebuild.

> AFAIK KMail2 is not in a working state. Thomas McGuire, KMail's
> maintainer, has explicitly warned all KDE developers (and everybody
> else) that KMail2 (i.e. the KMail in svn trunk) should not be used.
> He has not yet given an all-clear, so it's probably safe to assume
> that it's not yet safe to use KMail2 for real mail.

Okay, so I will continue using KMail1 until its successor will be ready.

> It is unclear whether KNode will be ported. One or two developers
> wanted to look into this, but it's a rather huge task. There is
> already an NNTP resource for Akonadi. Maybe we will simply add news
> support to KMail. Or a new lightweight Akonadi-based news client
> (sharing many components with KMail2) will be written. I think at
> the moment everything is possible. All that's needed is someone to
> do the actual work. The KDE PIM core developers currently focus
> fully on KMail2.

Good to know that.

> > Reading the Techbase/Userbase/ML/Blog-articles I get the
> > impression, that IMAP will work (and get converted) but POP3/SMTP
> > is not automatically converted and might be unstable.
>
> Then you are better informed than me who only follows the mailing
> lists and visits the occasional meeting. :-)

Being a user, it is not easy to decide, which "in progress" means
"usable" and which means "you better not try this" without actually
trying it out.

IIRC the last article I read about KMail2 was
http://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/nepomuk-in-kmail-2/
which featured - besides fancy pictures - the following warning:

"KMail 2 is currently under heavy development, right now it should not
be used at all :) In the past, we have been working in a separate
branch, the akonadi-ports branch. That branch will now be merged back to
trunk during the next days. If you are a user who follows trunk, you
should switch to the 4.4 branch. Otherwise you’ll see a big fat warning
when starting KMail 2.
Right now there are quite many bugs and regressions in KMail, the
Akonadi port is probably comparable with the KDE3 to KDE4 port, if not
worse. We hope to stabilize KMail 2 so that it becomes usable soon, and
if everything goes well, it can be released together with KDE SC 4.5."

But since that was about 6 weeks ago, I thought, the worst problems
might have been resolved so far.
BTW - I didn't encounter serious evil problems during the KDE 3.5 - KDE
4-transition (besides KDE/KMail being rather crashy sometimes).

> > Having said/asked this, what are the opinions of the
> > PIM-developers? If the answer is s.th. like "Do an upgrade and you
> > will know, what hell feels like!"
>
> That's a very likely answer.

Good (errm. Bad.)

> > I ask you to write a short article (hopefully
> > distributed via planetkde or the dot) when KMail has become usable
> > again for the most usual use-cases, so that people could give it a
> > try without having to worry about their mails.
>
> This will certainly happen.

I can't wait...

  Benjamin