[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sun Feb 7 18:04:17 GMT 2010

Am Sunday 07 February 2010 18:42:25 schrieb r bartlett:
> >I can understand your concern about not letting Yahoo host your IMAP
> >account, but if they are already your ISP and providing you with POP,
> >what makes you think your POP data is more secure than giving the same
> >company access to your POP mail?
> >
> >I think Werner's IMAP suggestion is to vastly simplify the task of
> >hosting your own server.

correct :)

> >If you really want to set up your own hosting server and not use your
> >ISP, I suggest you register a domain and run your own IMAP server.
> >There are a few open source IMAP servers out there.
>
> Yes, Art, I only use Yahoo for a small percent of my email.  I have run my
> own server for years with my own domain and any syncing would be done via
> that route.  As mentioned before, it's not really the email that I'm
> worried about but the calendaring and addressbook and "to do" list and
> journal and so on.
>
> Thanks for the input.  I'll look into DIMAP as Werner suggested and see if
> I can do something that way.

as said, that is quite easy, if you do have an IMAP server runnig.
just create a receiving account in kmail of type DIMAP for that server.
then select ressource 'IMAP account' (or similar, translated from german) in
kaddressbook, let kontact create the necessary folders on the server for you
(if they don't already exist), enable the resource and import your data there.
(first export that data from your local ressource, e.g. as ldif file).
done.

werner
p.s.: the description mentioned is suitable for kontact until kde 4.3.5, from
4.4, akonadi manages contact data, so you have to configure akonadi then!